Be bright and protect your home from burglars this winter and holiday season
As the winter nights close in, leave a light on… and burglars in the dark! Burglars are often opportunistic thieves and you can take steps to avoid becoming one of their victims this winter.
- Try to make your home look occupied by using timer switches on lights and radios.
- Illuminate your front door with dusk to dawn lighting that comes on automatically.
- Consider purchasing and installing a video doorbell, house alarm or CCTV system.
- Close and double lock all doors and windows when going out, even if you’re only away from home for a short period of time. Those 10 or 15 minutes on the school run are all a burglar needs to break into your home.
- Always double lock doors and windows when you go to bed.
- Keep all valuables and keys out of sight and away from doors, windows and letterboxes.
- When not in use, store electronic car key fobs in a security pouch to prevent them being scanned by thieves to open and steal your car.
- If you have a key safe, ensure it is not visible to people passing by, but anyone tampering with it can be seen.
- When working from home, ensure laptops and electronic equipment are not on view.
Don’t give thieves the tools to burgle your house, ensure sheds and garages are locked and secure.
Don’t leave any presents on view or advertise them on social media.
Don’t leave packaging next to your bin.
Register your new presents and gifts online at www.immobilise.com AT HOME
Don’t advertise you are away from home on social media. Ask a trusted friend or neighbour to keep an eye on your property.
Receive free crime and information updates from Thames Valley Police by registering for Thames Valley Alert at: www.thamesvalleyalert.co.uk
Consider joining a local Neighbourhood Watch Scheme. For more information, visit www.ourwatch.org.uk
You can find further crime prevention advice at www.thamesvalley.police.uk
Please contact us if you have any information relating to burglary in your neighbourhood. Report online at www.thamesvalley.police.uk or call us on 101. Always dial 999 in an emergency.
Alternatively, you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on free phone 0800 555 111.
Email: You can contact your local neighbourhood team via WokinghamNHPT@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk – please note this email address cannot be used to report crimes or for any urgent matters.
Follow us on social media for regular crime updates and find out what your local policing teams are up to:
Facebook: TVP Bracknell & Wokingham