Comprising the two churches of St James, Finchampstead and St Mary and St John, California the Parish of Finchampstead and California is a Church of England parish within the Deanery of Sonning, itself part of the Diocese of Oxford.
Contact Details and Further information
About St James’ Church
St James’ is an ancient Grade-1 listed Church. The original St James’ church building was created by Sir Alard Banestra with the help of monks from Reading Abbey and local Villeins and surfs, etc. Dates vary, probably due to the long period of years it took to build the original church but it is thought to have been started in the 1120′s and completed in 1134. Simple Saxon Churches were improved by the later Normans who engaged in an intensive programme of building throughout the land. It was during this time that St. James’ took its present basic form in c1150.
The Manor House and Church Centre: The Manor House was given to the Church by one of St James’ active parishioners, Lady Liddell. It provides much needed meeting space and committee rooms. These may be used by any church group or church member for their meetings or activities, by prior arrangement with the Church Centre Administrator. This building also houses the Parish Office.
A Parish Hall was added to the north easterly corner of the Church Centre in the early 1990s which now allows for much larger social gatherings and is used for Sunday Club, Fledgelings, Mothers’ Union, St James’ Handbell group and many other Church and community activities. Coffee is served here after services.